Ready for a laugh? Here is all the great thinking that went into our decision making. How hilarious! Try to guess which classmate said what.
WHY DID I CHOOSE MOUNT HOLYOKE?
- because my mother adored MHC
- because my eldest sister went to Smith (’52)
- because Judy Fowler did (Ed note: MHC ’60)
- because my brother at Amherst thought the MHC girls were the best (and most like me!) !
- because my father wanted me to go to Smith
- My parents said I could go anywhere to college, I lived in Memphis, and I wanted to travel!
- because my father wanted me to
- because my mother was so active in MHC alumnae clubs
- I rejected it in 9th grade since 5 yrs of language were required, and I applied after MHC requirements changed to three years .
- because my mom went there
- because my adored cousin had gone there and because I was interested in Science. Also, I couldn’t ride a bike!
- I went my first year to William & Mary, hated it, and transferred.
- Mother wanted me to go to Sweet Briar, but I did not want to go south. An outdoorsy girl, I chose MHC over Ratcliffe.
- Wellesley’s attitude seemed “You would be so lucky to get in here,” but MHC exuded “We’d be so lucky to have you!”
I was accepted at Skidmore with a scholarship, but my parents were happy to pay the difference.
- the swimming pool, that glorious swimming pool with floor to ceiling windows overlooking Upper Lake!
- because my mom and 2 older sisters went there and I got more financial aid than I would have at Wellesely
- My brother at Dartmouth led me to look east. A boyfriend from Princeton helped me choose from Smith, Wellesley or Holyoke.
- further away from my Bucks County, Pa. home than my other choice, Bryn Mawr
- My brother, who I worshiped, went to Amherst (’56) and a family friend was a V8 at MHC. My dream was fulfilled.
Find the answers below.