Engadiner Nut Pie

Name: Patricia Simon
Class Year: 1968
Country of Residence: Germany

Why is this recipe great? What’s its backstory? 

I first had this in the Engadin (Switzerland) about 40-50 years ago, and I thought I was in heaven. But it didn’t occur to me for decades to try to make it myself. A few years ago I found a recipe in a magazine and, being a MHC alum, thought “why not?”. The rest is history (and hips).

Engadinernußtorte (Engadiner nut pie)

Serves 6-8. Takes approx. 30 min prep + 30 mins in the oven

Ingredients:

For the dough:

300 g flour (plus some for rolling out)
115 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
190 g cold butter

For the filling:

150 g shelled walnuts
150 peeled almonds
250 g sugar
200 g whipping cream
3 tablespoons honey

Instructions:

1. Knead the dough ingredients to make a dough, divide into 3 parts and put in fridge.
  2. Heat the oven to 180°
  3. Heat the sugar slowly with 3 tablespoons of water, cook it until it turns into gold-brown carame. l Add cream, continue cooking (medium heat) for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until all is gold-brown and thickened.
  4. Chop nuts (not too fine), add them and honey to the caramel and let it all cool down a little, stirring occasionally.
  5. Roll out the dough for two “plates” for a 24 cm form and one “snake” which will be made into the side (at least 2 cm high).
  6. Line the form bottom and side with dough, pour in filling, put dough lid on and push it down around the sides to seal the dough encasing of the filling.
  7. Bake ca. 20-25 minutes until golden. Let it cool completely, best for 1-2 days before cutting, as it will set better. You can put powdered sugar on it before serving, but I find it sweet enough without.

Source:

Traditional Swiss recipe