Name: Madeleine Hewitt
Class Year: 1984
Country of Residence: Greece
Why is this recipe great? What’s its backstory?
Delicious chicken recipe, with subtle flavors of cinnamon, garlic and oregano blending to create a savory taste. My Greek family made this for me, and we all enjoyed the hand made egg noodles topped by the tasty sauce made from peppers, onions and tomatoes with the signature spices. Find a good greek wine to go with it and you are all set!
Greek Chicken with Handmade Pasta
Serves 6. Takes approx. 1 hour
For the chicken:
- 2 onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 stick(s) cinnamon
- 3 clove(s) of garlic
- 1 tablespoon(s) oregano, dry
- 1/3 bunch basil
- 1 teaspoon(s) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 kilo chicken
- 4-5 tablespoon(s) olive oil
For the noodles
- 1 1/2 liter water
- 500 g hilopites (Greek pasta)
- 2-3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 50 g feta cheese
For the chicken
- Preheat oven over 180ο C (355* F) Set to Fan.
- Coarsely cut the onions, garlic, pepper and tomatoes. Place them in a 25×32 cm baking pan.
- Add salt, pepper, the cinnamon sticks, oregano, basil, sugar and mix.
- Cut the chicken in 10 pieces and add salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Place the chicken over the vegetables and pour 2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove chicken. Set aside.
For the noodles
- Place a pot over medium to high heat.
- Add the water and vegetables with the sauce that is left in the pan. When it comes to a boil, add the noodles and boil for 7-10 minutes stirring often.
- Remove from heat, add pepper, olive oil, salt and stir.
Serve with finely chopped parsley and grated feta cheese.
Source: My friend Andreas Kambanis provided: it is delicious!