Maureen McVeigh, 2010 Nominating Committee

Name: Maureen McVeighMajor: Art History and Italian

Hometown: Cranston, Rhode Island

What are you up to now?  I’m happily back in the Valley! I’m a Masters candidate in Art History at UMass Amherst.

Responsibilities: The Nominating Committee selects candidates for elective class officers and submits an official slate for class elections. The only additional nominations that can be considered for any given office are those made from the floor at the time of the election at the class meeting.You should email me if you have questions/comments about: How and why to run for class board positions!

What is your favorite MHC tradition and why? Laurel Parade is by far my favorite tradition. It’s absolutely amazing and inspiring to witness the continuity of the Mount Holyoke spirit and the many different ways every single one of us will always be a “Mount Holyoke Woman.” I’ll probably never stop tearing up at “Bread and Roses”.

If you could go on a date with a historical figure, who would it be and why? Gian Lorenzo Bernini, the Baroque sculptor and architect. I’ll admit that my mental image of him comes from a BBC series on art, but it’s obvious that he was passionate, confident, and incredibly talented. You only need to look at his “Ecstasy of St. Theresa” to know that he understood women. I think one date would be enough, though– see Constanza Bonarelli as a cautionary tale.

How do you plan to prepare for the zombie apocalypse? I’ll take the advice someone very wise once gave me: camp out in a Super Walmart.