Sustainability Stroll

Our Reunion 2023 Sustainability Stroll was co-hosted by the Class of 1971 Climate Change/Sustainability Workgroup (Becky Ritchie Cutting, Wendy Hagen Bauer, Val Bryan, Sallie Welles, Joann Otto, Helen Wills Brown, Meg Harris) and the staff of the Miller Worley Center for the Environment (MWCE), the Biology Department, the Environmental Studies Department, and the Dining Commons.  And, as climate change continues to affect all of us, we hope you will take a look at the resource list we have put together (click Climate Change Resource List or on the pull-down menu above.)

The Stroll showcased, through stops at four campus stations, the steps that the College is taking and its future plans for meeting the goals of the 2017 Sustainability Report.  (Click SUSTAINABILITY REPORT for a summary.)

Click on photos, below, to enlarge.   Also, click VIDEOS to view four videos of the stroll.

Station 1: The large “Million Dollar Tree” beech tree behind Dwight Hall, photos below.  Speakers discussed Carbon Storage by the forests of the Northeast and also global efforts. The Tree itself was preserved during construction and is rumored to have cost quite a bit to save (hence the moniker). This Station also touched on strategies for global Climate Restoration as presented by Sallie Welles and described in more detail HERE.

Station 2: Dwight Lecture Hall, photos below.  Olivia Aguilar, Director Miller Worley Center and Assoc. Prof. of Environmental Studies, discussed MWCE’s recent conferences: a collegiate sustainability conference;  and a conference on Women in Climate Change. She also described the many opportunities available to students interested in the environment field.  Helen Wills Brown presented information on the college’s first sustainable project, the large solar panel installation on the roof of Kendall, which links to the local South Hadley Power Co. grid and supplies a significant portion of electrical power to the college itself. Helen also discussed the college’s geothermal plans, now under construction, involving extensive piping and a field of deep wells in the area of the Kendall playing fields. 

Station 3: Wetland and Stream Restoration Area, behind Kendall. Faculty described how they use this area in their teaching.  Joann Otto reminded classmates of the importance of this area’s stream, wetlands and the two lakes to biological studies during our time in the late 60’s early 70’s.   Photos below, from left:  
Joann Otto discussed the Field Zoology course, taught by Isabelle Sprague, when we were in college; this course introduced students to aquatic animals, especially insect larvae. She then introduced the main speakers.  Martha Hoopes, Prof. of Biological Sciences and Chair of Biological Sciences, explained how the College had removed many invasive species from the Stream Restoration Area and how as a result, native species began to thrive. She also discussed how students taking certain courses in the Biological Sciences curriculum used the Area in study plots. 
Catherine Corson, Prof. Environmental Studies, amplified Martha’s remarks and discussed how students in Environmental Studies conducted field experiments in the Area.   Angie Patterson, Curator of Education and Outreach, explained how she uses the Area in her Outreach programs, as well as how she introduces non-science students to nature in this place.

Station 4: Blanchard Dining Commons, photos below. Val Bryan introduced Geoffrey Searl, Assoc. Vice Pres. for Hospitality Operations; and Shawn Kelsey (Chief Chef) , Asst. Dir. for Culinary Operations, who described how they implement sustainable strategies in the dining context by reducing waste, recycling, composting and using locally sourced foods. A more detailed description of these practices and the future plans can be found on the Sustainability page within the MWCE site.