Pamela Freeman Dear – Library Media Specialist

It is funny to think about “my story,” but I love to read about what everyone else has done in the last 35 years, so I will add mine.

I married Charlie Dear in 1985 (dated through MHC) and we will celebrate 33 years in June. That is as hard to believe as the fact that we are coming back for our 35th reunion. Where does it go?

Charlie and I have three children and we expect to have an empty nest in September. Philip is 29 and an attorney for Shearman & Sterling in NYC. Adam is 26 and a biomedical engineer for Johnson & Johnson, working in Omaha, Nebraska. Megan is 18, a senior in high school, and has applied to Mount Holyoke! She wants to be a marine biologist. By the time we are at reunion, I will know whether she decided to be a third generation Mount Holyoke uncommon woman. We will see.

I am on my fourth career since leaving Mount Holyoke. I started by using my Economics degree with a position at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. After I married and moved to California, I used my English degree and worked for West Publishing Company. I started my masters in library science in California, but after the 1989 earthquake, we moved back to the east coast and I put my masters on hold. Back in Connecticut, I worked for SNET Cellular as the cellular phone business started exploding. Remember roaming? I was the person in Connecticut who made sure that CT phones worked in other states and out-of-state phones worked here. After my third child was born, I told my husband that I wanted to go back to finish my masters. In 2003, I finished my MLS and started working for the local school district in a 5th and 6th grade middle school. I have been here for 15 years already and hope to retire from here someday (after we finish paying tuition).

That should bring everyone up to date. We are hoping for weddings and grandchildren in the future, but right now the focus is on our last high school graduation, the last undergraduate decision, and a summer of fun with our daughter before we have an empty nest. All good.